Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Pure and Simple

There's a reason I like endurance sports like running or cycling - the simplicity and purity of the aim. I can momentarily leave the complications of my life and pour all of myself into this one thing. Its tiring, there's times when you want to quit - but there's unfettered freedom in willing one thing.

Danish philosopher/theologian Søren Kierkegaard wrote a book called "Purity of Heart Is to Will One Thing." I so easily complicate my spiritual life into a list of a thousand things to do and a thousand things to learn. Motives begin to convolute and often corrupt. I have been reminded by God - that as a Christian I am to will one thing: to know and love God more.

I think when I learn to view all the aspects and areas of my life I can enjoy that same freedom of pouring all of oneself into biking 40km for example. The freedom of living for a single aim, indeed, purity of heart is to will one thing.

The full text is available online here [religion-online.org]

No comments: