Friday, October 27, 2006

No more

Everyone dies. If we call approaching death "dying", then it would follow that we are all dying. Now for the Christian readers they would argue for rapture-related exceptions but for the sake of discussion today let's not go there.

Dying is rather significant (at least somewhat significant) - so what are we doing about it? Do we think about it? Are we aware - and have we come to grips with this reality? I fear our answers to such questions. I know for me (and I suspect most of us) death seems so distantly irrelevant. Which is sort of silly, we think so much about other upcoming events in our lives: getting a driver's license, becoming an adult, getting married, etc. What should death mean to us?

There's a inherent sadness that I experience as I ponder death. Certainly those religiously minded yearn for the "next life", but we all want to experience things on earth. I would like to grow personally, perhaps experience marriage, travel the world, learn a Bach cello suite, pee off a ridiculously tall tree, and the such. To think of losing those opportunities forever makes me sad. So we cling to life, and we cling hard.

Let us not forget what is worse than death, and that is watching others die. I have yet to experience the sorrow of having a close one pass away. But in terms of myself, even at my young age I have become aware of how mental capacity, physical health and ability quickly decline. There's such insecurity and fear in that - to imagine one's self losing power, ability and throughput. As I've watched my parents grow old I've seen this firsthand, and know should I live to be old I surely face the same.

But it doesn't end there. I do not regret thinking about death, because it helps me treasure life even more! That the sunlight upon my face feels that much more vibrant! The joy of laughing with a friend or enjoying the peacefulness of a quiet walk. The become so much more real, so much more valuable. So I am glad to have thought about physical death. I am glad for what you've taught me. Yet regret arises for I know I could have done more. I should have done more. This is why I will remember you, and what your short and simple life has taught me. Thank you Mr. Grasshead.

The author does not wish to portray any insensitivity to the death of loved ones. Rather just the contemplation upon the simple life and death of a plant. Well in this case a rather large number of plants. The author doesn't actually know how to refer to a single grass. He just says "there's some grass". I mean, some people use "blade", but that's in reference to the leaf structure, not the plant itself. "A grass" perhaps is most accurate, but I digress.
The author currently resides in Winnipeg, Canada and spends some of his free time practicing grass-revival techniques, mostly involving water.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Yesterday, in a painful and scorpion-venom induced delirium, I was contemplating death too, and I figured if I had to go, that was okay, it had been a pretty good run. I feel like that's a good place to be. Living is, I suppose, less inevitable than dying, but doing the former makes the latter less fearsome. I agree that seeing others waste away and die is a lot worse, though I too have been spared from anyone very, very close dying. I suppose I have to accept that the good times I have with these close people and the inevitable hard times that will come, including their death, is a package deal (Like the movie Shadowlands teaches). But it's easy to say now, when things are good.
PS Regarding the scorpion sting, I pulled through, though my hands and feet and ears are still numb and tingly.

simplejoys said...

hi Allan, first to respond to your post on my blog - i was considering going on LTM to Switzerland, for a 2 year term.

i'll be going to WC this year. how about you? i'm seizing the opportunity especially since it's rarely so close to home.

may God grant us all wisdom to use our numbered and limited days to glorify Him only. :)