Friday, November 09, 2007

Band of Brothers

There was a time when ordinary men were asked to do extrodinary things. (DVD box set subtitle)

I've recently finished watching the miniseries Band of Brothers... again. It retells the story of one U.S. paratrooper division from D-day (June 6th 1944) when Allied forces first invaded mainland Europe to the end of the war.

Heartbreaking, heroic, and inspiring are the words that come to mind to describe this series. As opposed to trying to sum up the WII experience in 2 hours, this series spreads out the various experiences of a handful of soldiers over 10 hour long episodes. For those who have not seen it, I highly recommend it. I find myself wistfully wondering when I'll rewatch the series.

As we come towards another Rememberance Day this weekend, I am reminded of incredible heroes and sacrifices made when ordinary people rose to face extrodinary circumstances.

The title of the miniseries is based on a quote from Shakespeare's Henry V, and it touches on the special bond of those who battle together.

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother (King Henry, V.iii)
The time for ordinary men to act extrodinarily has not ended though. My days may not present opportunity to storm German MG42 positions, and I might not have thousands of soldiers counting on me to knock out fortified artillery positions (as the soldiers in Band of Brothers did). Yet there are many battles to be fought, the battles for truth, love, and purity, and we all need our brothers (and sisters) in those times. As Oswald Chambers reminds me again:

It is ingrained in us that we have to do exceptional things for God — but we do not. We have to be exceptional in the ordinary things of life, and holy on the ordinary streets, among ordinary people — and this is not learned in five minutes.
-Oswald Chambers, Oct 21st entry from My Utmost for His Highest
Below: A few actual pictures from WWII.

1. Soldiers on D-Day June 6th, 1944 assaulting Omaha beach









2. The landing of supplies at Normady beach after establishing a beachhead



1 comment:

Vincent said...

Lemme know if you need some company during your next 10 hr marathon of B of B. It's been a good year or so since my 3rd sitting :)